The Department of Education has completed the preparations for the 2013 Palarong Pambansa and is all set to kick off the national sporting event in Dumaguete, Negros Oriental tomorrow, April 21.
DepEd Secretary Br. Armin A. Luistro FSC said that all necessary arrangements have been secured. “Every year, we aim to make the Palarong Pambansa a special event highlighting what the Filipino youth can showcase to the world in the field of sports,” noted Luistro.
Luistro also added that this year’s Palarong Pambansa will continue to be clean, green and high-tech. “More than the equipment we set up to showcase a high-tech Palaro, the sporting event will display Filipino core values such as honesty and fair play and will put equal emphasis on environmental concern.”
Negros Oriental Governor Roel Degamo assured DepEd that the province is ready to host the 2013 Palarong Pambansa. “We are ready to welcome the delegates to our province. We have been preparing for this and all systems go for Negros Oriental to host this national sporting event.”
All delegations from 17 regions have arrived and are now settled in their respective billeting quarters.
The Palarong Pambansa is DepEd’s way of promoting physical education and sports as an integral part of the Basic Education Curriculum and as an affirmation to its commitment to develop the potentials of the youth to become responsible and globally competitive citizens.
The Assistant Secretary for Legal and Legislative Affairs Tonisito Umali, assisted by the Task Force on School Sports (TFSS), shall spearhead the event. The TFSS shall provide technical management, secretariat/staff and operational services.
Part of the 2013 Palarong Pambansa will be the following activities: April 20 – ARMM Night at Claire Isabel McGill Luce Auditorium, Silliman University and the Governor’s Night at Terra Alta, Valencia; April 21 – Press Conference with Gov. De Gamo and Sec. Luistro at the Provincial Capitol Session Hall and the Opening Ceremonies to start in Silliman University to Mariano Percides Stadium; April 22-27 – Sports competition; April 26- Tikang for Peace! “Athletes Youth Summit” at the Foundation University; and April 27 will be the closing ceremonies.
Playing venues are as follow:
- Archery: Ang Tay Golf Range
- Arnis: Holy Cross High School Gym
- Athletics: Gov. Mariano Percides Memorial Stadium
- Badminton: The Court – LP Hypert Mart
- Baseball – SillimanHeights Ball Park; Dr. Orbeta Ball Park; Martinez Ball Park
- Basketball – Lamberto Macias Sports Center; Silliman University Gym; ABC
- Learning Center Gym; Valencia Gym
- Boxing – Atrium, Robinsons Place Dumaguete
- Chess – Silliman Hall
- Football – Silliman University Cimafranca Ball Field; Gov. Mariano Percides
- Memorial Stadium; Foundation University Ball Field; Silliman University Ravello Field
- Gymnastics – NORSU Cultural Center
- Sipa/Sepak Takraw – SLS Don Bosco Gym; Catherina Cittadini School Gym
- Softball – Cimafranca Ball Park
- Swimming – Sen. Lorenzo G. Teves Aqua Center
- Table Tennis – Negros Oriental Convention Center
- Tennis – Praxevilla Tennis Court; Silliman University Tennis Center; Valencia
- Tennis Court
- Volleyball – Foundation University – Children’s Forum; Foundation University Gym; Asian College Gym
DepEd’s official TV Partner for this year’s Palarong Pambansa is the People’s Television Network while the official social media partner is Rappler.com.
2013 Palarong Pambansa is presented by Milo, Ever Bilena and Pagcor; co-presented by Smart; in cooperation with Philippine Airlines, Aboitiz and Ang-Hortaleza Foundation, Johnson & Johnson; and also brought to us by San Miguel, Ayala, and Ramon Aboitiz Foundation, Inc.